Violence Transformed invites VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTISTS to participate in our 2016 season of events. Submitted work should address issues of violence, with emphasis on how art can transform our future and illuminate our understanding of the past.
Visual Artists*: Violence Transformed 2016 seeks entries in any medium for exhibition and/or digital projection at venues through Greater Boston, including:
Harriet Tubman Gallery, United South End Settlement, Boston,MA
Mass Ave Gallery, Cambridge College, Cambridge, MA
Doric Hall, The Massachusetts Statehouse, Boston, MA
Resnikoff Gallery, Roxbury Community College, Roxbury, MA
Lesley University Marran Theater & Gallery: Black Lives Matter, Cambridge, MA
…with other venues TBA
Artists are invited to submit individual and collaborative works that confront and imagine alternatives to violence at local, national and international levels, that address issues of protest, refuge, survival and commemoration and give expression to the power of art to heal and enrich our lives and our communities. Works that invite and stimulate dialogue across boundaries of nation, race and ethnicity, religious ideology (or lack thereof), politics, gender and sexual orientation are particularly welcome.
The audience for Violence Transformed exhibits include children, adolescents and adults of diverse backgrounds and communities. We are less interested, therefore, in graphic depictions of violence thank in works that encourage reflection, awareness and community-wide engagement with the arts.
Visual Arts Guidlines:
**Submission Deadline is February 6, 2016**
(1) Up to six (6) images in JPEG (.jpg) format at a resolution no greater than 300 dpi. The file name for each image must be in the following format: Last name_title.jpg (example: Warhol_campbellssoup.jpg). Image dimensions should not exceed 1000×1000 pixels and files should not exceed 5MB.
(2) A list of images designating for each: Title, Medium, Dimensions and a brief narrative (50 words max) indicating the work’s relationship to themes of Violence Transformed. Artist narratives will be exhibited with selected works.
(3) Artist’s Statement with one page bio and contact information.
(4) A Violence Transformed Artist Submission & Release Form (CLICK HERE)
Please Submit by email addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(1) Enter your last name and “vt 2016 artist submission” in subject line
(2) Attach items #1-#4 above
(3) Pay submission fee by clicking on DONATE to complete online payment of $20 (art students exempt)
Artists will be informed of drop off/pick up dates, which vary with each venue.
Performing Artists*: Violence Transformed collaborates with musicians and performers in planning our opening receptions. Contact Hope Ricciardi at email@example.com for details.